WordPress has come a long way since launching in 2003. Since it’s inception, it has over 7,000,000 downloads and over 300 updates. It is the world’s most popular content management system (CMS) out there, powering 37.6% of the internet. B-Web Services design custom websites using this CMS, and there are some exciting statistics to the platform.
- WordPress has a 60.8% market share among CMS
- 14.7% of the world’s top websites use WordPress, including 22% of the top e-commerce sites
- Designers build 500+ sites a day using WordPress
- The WordPress Plugin Directory features 55,000+ plugins
Statistics Powered by WordPress
One of the most common misconceptions about WordPress is that since it is an open-source program, it’s ill-suited for big websites. It’s the opposite; It scales marvelously to any size of the site you need. These websites include CNN, The New York Times, Spotify, Vogue, the Facebook Newsroom, Time Magazine, and even the Walt Disney Company!
WordPress is so versatile it acts efficiently as the backbone for many different kinds of websites, spanning from personal blogs, news websites, portfolios, and e-commerce websites.
Every 152 days, there is an update to the core WordPress engine—each release named after a jazz musician. Since the beginning of this Content Management System, the Gutenberg editor brought about the most substantial change to the WordPress visual editor. Since Gutenberg was released, there have been:
- There are over 45.1 million active installations of Gutenberg.
- 92.6 million posts written with Gutenberg*
- 298,000+ posts written with Gutenberg daily.*
* The post statistics on this page are obtained from WordPress.com sites and sites running Jetpack — which report whether Gutenberg was used to authoring the post. The post statistics only include posts created since late August 2018. The actual number is higher.
WordPress has gone through a series of changes since its creation in 2003, but the core functionality remains the same — to empower people to create websites. It is now used by all different kinds of companies, from Small businesses to Fortune 500 companies. Partner with B-Web Services to build the WordPress site of your dreams.